Puppydome

Puppydome
Blue PIcardy Spaniel

Sunday, November 6, 2011

How it all started!

Growing up I have many fond memories in the field with my father,brother and our sporting dogs. On these many outdoor adventures I learned so much about the Alberta prairie. While doing so I also learned about nature, life, death and myself. I didn't realize the extent of what the prairie taught me till much later in life. A career and family changed my focus and while my love of wild places never changed, my time to explore them was limited. As my family grew and my career took a right turn, for the better I might ad, I found myself wanting to be back in the field watching the work of a good dog.
 Growing up the dogs we had were English Springer Spaniels, when I met my wife she had a Shiba Inu, later before we were married we brought two Golden Retriever puppies into our lives. Those two Golden's were very much a part of our family and they grew up with our children. Obviously dogs were a big part of our lives, and were a source of great pleasure and loved by all. After a combined 17 years with us our second Golden left us for the Rainbow Bridge. It was time to bring a new member into our family to help fill the void left by our beloved pets.
About 6 months later I found myself sitting on a deck over looking a pond at a friends acreage, The ducks were flying in and out chattering up a storm. At our feet sat his 7 year old male pointing dog, a Blue Picardy Spaniel. He is a hansom boy with a jet black shiny coat intermixed with white fur, almost like grey hair coming in on a kind old man. He had  a bright face and soft brown eyes with the long spaniel ears I had grown to love as a kid. A long tail and feathered reminded me of a setter, this was definitely one of the nicest dogs I have ever seen. This started the research phase of the Blue Picardy Spaniel I will share with you soon. Wonder what it would be like to own a pointer?

No comments:

Post a Comment